Software Engineer (Backend)
The platform to monitor and automate satellite operations
Software Engineer (Backend)
About the role
What You’ll Be Doing
Breaking stuff. We need a software engineer to focus on building and automating tests. A top candidate will be able to fix bugs of currently deployed software. This role is a mix of software engineering and testing. The unique part of this role does not lie within writing unit or integration tests but rather mirroring customer use cases – such as testing our satellite tracking, antenna reservation, or satellite command and control services.
Your mission will be to simulate dozens of satellites running operations while also being chaos monkey so our system can remain resilient. Don’t worry, you do not have to be an aerospace expert – satellites are just flying computers that you see every 90 minutes. Additionally, you will oversee testing operational recovery procedures.
Day to day, you will be a part of the engineering team of frontend and backend engineers working in an Agile Scrum environment.
- Proficiency in Python and Terraform (or relevant IaaC language)
- Experience with AWS services such as Lambda, ECS, EKS, CloudWatch, S3, EFS/EBS, EC2, and RDS
- Strong knowledge of containerized applications and serverless architecture
- Strong knowledge of designing, analyzing, and troubleshooting APIs services, distributed NoSQL and relational databases, caching systems, event-driven and multi-tier architectures
- Strong knowledge of task automation and CI/CD pipeline building, preferably with GitHub actions but not required
- Familiarity with Git and GitHub or similar framework for version control
- Deep technical analysis and troubleshooting skills
- Independent self-starter; able to complete projects on time with minimal guidance
- A high standard for software maintainability, quality, resilience, and performance
- Strong cross-functional communication between a frontend, backend engineers and product manager
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (or related field)
- 1+ years [professional] experience in backend development, DevOps, or other related role. Professional experience can be replaced with a self-starter who has drive, the technical skills, and is obsessed with their product.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
Why you'll love working at Quindar
- We are a remote-first workplace and value results over where you work from. If you want to work at a WeWork we will make that happen! If not, we provide work from home benefits so you always have a nice place to work, speedy internet, and of course coffee/tea!
- We take work life balance very seriously. We require employees to take 15 days off but provide unlimited PTO and follow most US federal government holidays.
- Mental health is just as important as physical so we provide quarterly health & wellness benefits.
- Comprehensive health insurance for you and your family with 100% coverage for employees.
- We encourage employees to save for retirement and provide 4% 401(k) matching.
- Each quarter we have a 4-day company offsite. Previous locations include San Francisco, Nashville, Denver, Santa Fe, and New Orleans.
- Our culture and company is evolving. You will be key in creating the next major or minor version!
About the interview
Screening Call (30m)
We will walk through your experience, the role, and make sure we are in alignment with the expectations (75% Behavioral, 25% Technical). This will be with the CEO as he is currently in charge of hiring.
Second Round (45 min)
The Engineering Manager will interview you on technical concepts and design concepts (75% technical, 25% behavioral).
Third Round (45 min)
Similar interview as above but with one of your direct counterparts on our engineering team (75% technical, 25% behavioral).
Coding/Design Challenge (Offline)
You will work on a capped 4-hour coding/design challenge offline.
Reference Check The Hiring Manager will ask for 2 references within the last 5 years. These can be former managers or colleagues.
Offer The hiring manager will reach out with a verbal offer and a formal offer within 24 hours of notification.
Reverse Reference Check We will coordinate a time for you to meet 1:1 with a recent new hire to ask questions about working at Quindar.
Have you seen Apollo 13, The Martian, or Armageddon and recall all of the NASA engineers in a room with a bunch of monitors? Quindar is digitizing that away. Satellites are flying servers in space and we are revolutionizing the future of spacecraft operations by building the DataDog for space.
Our team has worked at SpaceX, OneWeb, Lockheed Martin, Iridium, Boeing, AWS, and RedHat. We've operated dozens of satellites, worked on broadband and earth observation constellations, and serviced commercial and government users. We are using lessons learned from our previous aerospace and startup experiences to revolutionize the space industry and enable access to space without being an expert.