Staff Software Engineer, Full Stack
Who We Are: WellSaid Labs
We’re creating Voice for everyone.
At WellSaid Labs, we enable creatives around the globe by putting high-tech, human parity technology into their hands, giving them the ability to add voice-over to any project and iterate with ease. Creative teams use WellSaid Lab’s Voice Studio to create compelling employee training, design unique digital experiences, and narrate audiobooks. We believe deeply in AI for Good, and that technology should be empowering, engaging, and fair to all people
Who You Are: A Staff-Level Engineer with an affinity for mentorship and teamwork
You are an experienced full stack engineer with an eye for building scalable and user-friendly web applications. You are comfortable working in an agile environment and collaborating with other engineers, designers, and product managers. You are eager to learn new skills and technologies, and share your knowledge with more junior engineers. You have a strong sense of ownership and pride in your work, and strive to deliver high-quality code that meets the needs of the users and the business - all while having fun in the process.
How You’ll Contribute:
We have developed a breakthrough AI algorithm that creates synthetic, realistic speech from text. You will provide technical leadership and will be an integral part of the development of the creative studio powered by this algorithm, enabling creatives to make lifelike voice over for videos, audiobooks, and training programs.
In this role, you’ll be responsible for the development of features and maintenance of components of our Text-to-Speech application, Studio. This includes writing and reviewing technical and design specifications, owning delivery of parts of larger engineering initiatives, mentoring team members, and working both collaboratively as well as independently in a mature web codebase.
The projects you'll undertake are geared toward bringing improvements and new functionality to the WellSaid Labs Studio. Working directly with our product team, you'll collaboratively develop features that have high impact and visibility in our customers' daily interactions with Studio as well as help WellSaid Labs improve and create a world-class software solution for creative teams.
In this role, you’ll develop:
- A collaborative user interface for generating audio
- The next version of our editor
- Our ever-growing avatar marketplace
- A streamlined customer onboarding experience
- An improved user experience for larger teams to collaborate together to create human-parity audio
Also, you’ll be challenged to:
- Guide the Studio engineering team to make technical decisions that are inline with the future architectural vision
- Find opportunities to mature our engineering processes
- Provide technical guidance for all software development by the Studio team
- Lead technical collaboration across teams and be able to represent work and decisions from the Studio team
- Build complex features to completion
- Grow and scale the platform while improving performance
- Build an accessible and inclusive user experience
- Tackle challenges creatively and critically evaluate your work
- Help interview and recruit more talented engineers to WellSaid Labs!
What We’re Looking For
To thrive in this role, you have a combination of strong front-end and back-end technical skills in addition to communication and collaboration skills that enable you to effectively lead a technical team to make decisions and deliver functionality to solve customer problems. You ideally have experience with React (alternatively, Angular, Vue, or similar), Apollo GraphQL, Typescript (alternatively, Java, C#, or similar), and HTML/CSS. You have an understanding of and point of view on software design principles. You also have some combination of the following:
- Give attention to creating modular, secure, and well-tested code
- Experience building and shipping end-to-end features to a sizable user base, with consideration for security, performance, scalability, reliability, and repeatability
- Working knowledge of computer science fundamentals like data structures and algorithms
- Ability to self-direct the planning and scoping for a project
- Leadership skills to technically provide guidance and coaching to more junior engineers
- Ability to design and iterate a long-term architectural vision taking into account scaling for a growing user base and building solutions to for additional market opportunities
- Experience optimizing performance of a growing cloud software application
- Strong communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
- (Bonus) Experience with our tech stack which includes: NextJS, Node, GraphQL, PostgresSQL, Docker, Google Kubernetes Engine
- (Bonus) Experience with cross-team collaboration
To join our team you must also:
- be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- pass a pre-employment background check
What We Offer
WSL is proud to support an inclusive work environment that emphasizes each team member’s personal and professional growth. Our team is fully distributed throughout the U.S., and we support flexible schedules - work where and when you work best. You’ll have teammates just a Slack message or video call away if you ever need help solving an exciting challenge, or even if you just have a funny story to tell.
As a startup, we strive to be externally competitive with companies at a similar size and stage, and internally fair in our pay practices. The hiring salary range for this role is $175,000 - $200,000 and represents the target offer range given the scope and experience expectations for this role.
Other perks and benefits:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Full medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Matching 401(k) plan
- Generous vacation policy/paid time off
- Parental leave
- Learning & development stipend
- Home office stipend
What to Expect From Us
We strongly encourage you to apply! If we feel your skills, experience, and values match, we’ll reach out about meeting with the team.
During the interview stage, you can expect:
- An introductory interview with the hiring manager (50 minutes); if there’s a match we’ll schedule an interview loop with the team.
- A technical screen, either as a live interview via Karat or as a take-home assessment
- An Interview loop with 3-4 interviews (1 hour each) with the team members you will be potentially working with
All interviews will be remote via Google Meets; we are happy to make accommodations you might need to feel comfortable and set up for success in our process.
WellSaid Labs is honored to be an equal opportunity workplace. We realize that by bringing together teams rich in diverse thoughts and experiences, our people, company, and customers are free to flourish. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation or gender identity), age, marital status, disability, military or veteran status; or any other protected classifications or characteristics under applicable local laws.